Sunday, August 03, 2014

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - another survey!

It's been a while since I've had time to participate in Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun over at GeneaMusings, and this time it's a survey. No secret either that I don't think much of most on-line surveys, but we all like to hear what others are doing so here goes.

a)  Which genealogy software programs for your computer do you use (e.g., Family Tree Maker, Reunion, GRAMPS, etc.)?

Legacy -desktop and Families for mobile
- also Heredis - desktop only for now, and once in a long while I still print a chart from Family Tree Maker.

b)  Which online family trees have information submitted by you - in either a separate online tree (e.g., Ancestry Member Tree) or a universal (collaborative) online tree (e.g., WikiTree)?

Oh, dear, how disorganized (or indecisive) this all sounds. Someday I expect I will hit the button and upload a whole tree. (I have 2 main databases - for my parents' families and for my husband's families. Intend to merge them at some point, but seemed easier to keep them separate from the beginning.

Ancestry - a female DNA tree to go with my mitochondrial results transferred there from GeneTree (SMGF).

Ancestry - a play tree I've been building using my mobile.

TribalPages - 2 basic tree sites - up for years now and updated periodically as 'cousin bait'.
- AXNER, BROSTRÖM, ERIKSSEN, JOHANSON, LÖFHOLM, RYDBERG & ZETTERBERG, Sweden to Canada: http://swedesinbc.tribalpages.com/
- SCOTT family: Muiravonside, Dalmeny, Tushielaw, Galashiels, Grangemouth, in Scotland: http://www.tribalpages.com/tribes/mdianerogers

MyHeritage and Geni - little bitty trees

c)  For which subscription genealogy record providers (e.g., Ancestry) do you have a subscription?

At the moment -

FindMyPast.com
MyHeritage.com
Newspapers.com
Oops!
Forgot Mocavo.com  Sorry. (I just found something very good there too.)

At my genealogical society library I regularly use Ancestry Library Edition, Genealogical Research Library, and new there - BDA Online — Biographical Database of Australia.
(Usually I do have a personal subscription to Ancestry but have let it go for a bit.)

d)  Which FREE genealogy record providers (e.g., FamilySearch) do you use regularly?

Countless, I think. Main and some favourites - since I've been working on BC and Manitoba families lately

FamilySearch.org
British Columbia Archives
The British Colonist newspaper
Manitobia.ca
Manitoba Vital Statistics database
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Canada - Virtual War Memorial
The Gazettes - Canada, UK

e)  How much time do you spend each week doing actual genealogy research online?  [Note:  not reading, or social networking, but actual searching in a record provider].  Estimate an average number of hours per week.

Guessing but maybe I'll keep track again for a while.
-2 hours average a day - searching and copying etc. Lately this involves a lot of work in digital newspapers for one of my projects.

f)  How much time do you spend each week doing actual genealogy research in a repository (e.g., library, archive, courthouse, etc.)?  Estimate an average number of hours per month over, say, a one year period.

Average a year - a day a week. Again maybe I'll try to keep track. I take a couple of research trips a year and I am at one or two local libraries every week for a few hours. I also volunteer at my society library but I'm not counting that time, just my estimate of my own time spent researching family there.  

g)  How much time do you spend each week adding information to your genealogy software program (either on your computer or online)?  Estimate an average number of hours per week over, say, a one month period.

Not nearly enough! A guilt making question, for sure. This year I am way, way behind entering new data. However, I have been keeping up with my back project. I started all this before media could be attached to data entered in programmes, so I've been working on catching up there. (And I've been posting some of this info on-line. Catching up there too.)

h)  How much time do you spend each month at a genealogical society meeting, program or event (not a seminar or conference)?  Estimate an average number of hours per month over, say, a one year period.

Monthly meeting - 4 hours; Scandinavian group meeting - 2 hours 10 months a year; Vancouver group meeting - 2 hours; Board meeting - 3 hours; one Committee meeting or other - 3 hours; events - at least one a month - time there ranges from 2 hours to seven or so. (I also volunteer for events, etc. so not including prep time.)


i)  How much time do you spend each month on genealogy education (e.g., reading books and periodicals, attending seminars, conferences, workshops, webinars, etc.)?   Estimate an average number of hours per month over, say, a one year period.

I'm reading as often as possible - likely an hour a day for 'genealogical' journals, etc. (Also reading history articles and books.) Attend at least one webinar a month; attend all local genealogical events; usually 2-3 conferences a year and at least one out of town seminar.  During this last year, I attended a couple of conferences part-time virtually too.

 j)  How much time do you spend each week reading, writing and commenting on genealogy blogs, websites, and social media?   Estimate an average number of hours per week over, say, a one month period.

Don't really want to know! But, I am again commenting more than writing on my own blogs. So I'm going to guess 1 1/2 hour a day.   Much of my on-line reading and 'social networking' takes place on the run as I use public transit every day and take advantage of access on my phone.

4 comments:

Judy Webster said...

I'm enjoying reading the responses to this survey. (Mine are in Genealogy Leftovers.) I'm on a tight 'research budget' this year, but for future reference I'd be interested to know whether you think MyHeritage is good value?

M. Diane Rogers said...

I've got a lot out of My Heritage for my research in Europe (mainly but not all in Scandinavia). And I've found a good # of relevant English trees there.
I found the pricing structure confusing/annoying. And the search has never been direct enough. Now that FamilySearch is sharing with My Heritage and other commercial sites, there seems a lot of clutter in any of the results lists. (I am on FamilySearch a LOT, and don't see any advantage at the moment to searching/viewing FS content at other sites.)

M. Diane Rogers said...

I should say as an addendum to my survey answers that I do use other pay sites on and off. I like short term subscription or pay for view offers the best and try to save up work to do when these come along. (A good part of my Swedish research has been done that way.)
And I'll try most anything genealogical that's free or has a free trial. Yes, I'm a #genealogy junkie.

Judy Webster said...

Diane, thanks for answering my question about MyHeritage. I note that you like short term subscription offers. So do I! When I hear about discounts on subscriptions, 'free access' days, etc, I mention those offers on some of my social media pages.