Friday, February 07, 2014

Rootstech 2014 - Day 2

Definitely a different feeling at Rootstech 2014 as many more people joined in. The halls were often packed! Everyone was smiling though.

The geneabloggers had a quick tour of the Expo Hall before the official opening. Here's a photo of Paul Nauta of FamilySearch showing Geneabloggers part of FamilySearch's own highly interactive display where visitors can record a personal story or phone home and record someone else's family story.


 The 'recording history' section of the FamilySearch interactive display, Rootstech 2014. Photographer, M. Diane Rogers

It was amazing to see how fast the Expo Hall displays took shape in the short time till the Hall opened. Lots of opportunities then to ask vendors questions, and in many cases to actually try out websites like Ancestry, Find My Past and My Heritage, Mocavo and the like, getting search tips from staff.  It's really true 'you never know what you might find', it seems. I use these sites regularly, and while checking out the Mocavo booth, I entered a few of my (better) names and found something I never noticed there before. It may be really new as Mocavo is adding thousands of records a day apparently; I made a note to check that out further later.

If you know me, you'll know I was heading for the books pretty quickly and I did buy a few over at Maia's Books, including the newly released Board for Certification of Genealogists Genealogy Standards manual. Like many, she was offering conference deals, something to remember if you attend next year. I'm angling for a sale priced FamilyTree DNA test for Valentine's Day!


Maia's Genealogy and History Books booth, Rootstech 2014. Photographer, M. Diane Rogers.

Randy Seaver is keeping a list of all the Geneabloggers' Rootstech articles here at GeneaMusings. Do check those out. Everyone has a different perspective. Of special interest to many, will be the Ancestry Insider's report from the intimate Ancestry.com breakfast that he attended. (Yes, the Insider is a real, and not an always invisible, person.)

No comments: